Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bo Goes to the Dentist

His new smile, minus one tooth on the lower right

Recovering from the dentist, Boo is making sure he doesn't drop any food on the floor!

So Bo is still enjoying school and I worked two full days Monday and Tuesday. On Tuesday ryan picked Bo up from school and took him to his class at LSU from 4:30 to 5:30. While Bo was good during class, coloring in his coloringbook most of the time, I definitely think it was too long a day for him because he was a royal pain last night, on the verge of tears about every little thing. So luckily Ryan doesn't have that class the next two weeks and then we'll have to rethink Tuesdays. This morning I took Bo to his first dentist's appointment and it was quite an experience for both of us. The hygenist came out and greeted us and gave Bo a sticker and let him pick a new toothbrush out. She then proceeded to tell me that she would have no problem with him because she is used to non-verbal kids from working with autistic children. I felt like telling her that he isn't non-verbal, she just doesn't speak his language, but I bit my tongue and smiled and she took Bo into her room all smiles. Bo has had a loose tooth (baby tooth) the past few days and I guess it was really hurting in the X-ray room because he decided to yank it out himself! I don't think he was quite prepared for the pain or the blood that followed and he screamed so loud the building shook. I was out in the waiting room for this whole ordeal because they don't let you go back with the hygenist so she got to enjoy Bo's rage all on her own. When she finally finished his cleaning and brought him back to me they both looked a bit worn down and Bo was still sobbing quietly. I picked him up and he melted into my arms and settled down. Next I got to talk to the dentist who informed me that Bo's teeth are as bad as I had feared and we are going to have to remove 5 or 6 of them, which will require an out-patient surgery at the hospital because it's too invasive to do in his office. Bo already has a lot of permanent teeth in or coming in so some of these teeth are just making room for the permanent ones. The hygenist was kind enough to tell me (bluntly) that Bo is probably more like 6 years old than 4.5 based on his teeth that he has. I've always thought he's probably a few months older than his Chinese info states but I didn't really need a rude hygenist to tell me that my kid is two years older than I think he is. His paperwork is what it is so he's just going to stay four and a half (sorry, Barbara)! And if he really is older he'll just have an advantage in little league so why start down a path you will never get an answer to? Just another expample of the joys of older child adoption and how inconsiderate people are. So after the dentist informs me that he is going to completely rearrange my child's mouth in a few weeks and under general anesthesia I get the pleasure of speaking to his office manager about how much it's going to cost and how neither my dental nor my medical insurance will cover the cost of the hospital or anesthesia. Why is it we want this great private healthcare again? It would suck so bad to live where you don't spend half an hour holding your recently sobbing child while some lady named Jan tells you how many thousands of dollars you will need to pay upfront or else they can't schedule the operating room for a necessary procedure. Anyway, I tested Bo's bloodsugar in the car after this wonderful ordeal and he was 47 so we went straight to the Sonic drive-through for a caramel sundae and headed home. I couldn't bear to drop him off at school in his condition so I have been working all afternoon while he watched Madagascar and practiced his letters.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Bo......Oh, Alison!! What an ordeal!!

    Just a thought...if you brought him to an oral surgeon, instead of a dentist, would he be able to do the procedure in office and then have it covered by insurance?? My older son needed four adult teeth pulled prior to being fitted for braces. An oral surgeon did the extractions, in his office. If I remember correctly, he did offer to put him under and we chose to just use Novicaine. I only had my copay of $50 per tooth.

    ReplyDelete