Sunday, April 26, 2009

10 weeks as a family






I just did the math and tomorrow marks 10 weeks since little Bo joined our lives. What a crazy roller coaster it has been. He is making incredible progress and after a rough start to the week he seemed to really turn a corner.

On Monday morning I went on a field trip with the Koalas over to the Ag school at LSU. We had a fun time, although Bo made me carry him for about an hour and a half so I was exhausted. I also got to meet some of the other kids in his class's parents. We all walked from the center over to the field trip, towing the kids in wagons and double strollers. It was a sight to see as 4 classes went together so we had about 40 kids and probably 25 adults. I think Bo caught onto the idea that a lot of kids were crying when their mommies left so he decided to latch onto me and throw a fit when I tried to leave him at lunchtime. I did my best to calm him down but could tell that the only thing that was going to work was going home so that's what we did. To an outsider it probably looked like I was giving in too easy but after the weekend we had just had I knew that Bo was still in grieving mode and so I gave in. I was mean mommy at home though because I had a ton of work to get done so I made him play quietly in his room for an hour and then we did "nap time" which is basically him watching a movie next to me on the couch without any toys.

Tuesday came and at 11:15 I got a call that Bo was hiding under a table and wouldn't come out to get his blood sugar checked. I talked it over with his teacher and after about 10 minutes he came out and all was well again. I had to pick him up since it was a day Ryan had class after school so I went to get him around 3:45.

Wednesday again Bo showed a little reluctance going into school and then at lunch his blood sugar was high and he started crying right around lunchtime. He settled down and did take a nap but I went and picked him up at 2:30 and decided we were going to have some good one on one time at the pool. The pool is Bo's new favorite thing and I like that he gets good exercise and we bond while I drag him around by his floaties. He doesn't swim yet but is getting braver each trip over there with getting his face wet and even taking off the swimmies and walking along the edge where he can touch the bottom. I know it's just a matter of weeks and he will be swimming full speed.

After our little mommy and me day he seemed to finally turn the corner and Thursday and Friday were both good days. Friday afternoon we went to his pediatrician for more immunizations and we finally did the cryo-treatment on one wart he had near his elbow and a small one on his neck. It took 3 of us to hold him down again and he was not happy with me but again once we hit the car and got a Sonic sundae to split he was OK again.

Saturday we went to the pool, then we went to a going away party for Richard, his classmate who speaks Mandarin and is moving next week, followed by another party for a co-worker's son who turned 2. It was an eventful day but Bo held up quite well and he really enjoyed the motorized car at Preston's house and the Elmo bouncy house at Gabriel's birthday.

So every day now Bo is starting to use new words. This week he started using "okay" "more" "no more" "thank you" and "cold". It's so funny when he just randomly uses a new English word in a Chinese sentence like it's no big deal. Ryan and I both feel like he is about to take off in terms of speaking in English.

One of our cameras came back so we have a few new photos to share from the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment