Sunday, April 5, 2009

Quick Recap of Bo's Recent Activities

So with school and doctors and just adjusting to his new life in general, Bo has been pretty busy. He has however kept up a pretty active social life so here's a recap of some of those activites and a few anecdotes from fun times at home.

Bo has had a few visitors at his house so far. Last weekend he got to meet Madison Smith, a potential babysitter, along with her father Dave. He had also had visits from Mr. Nile and Tom and Becky Wendahl over the past few weeks. Next weekend he will have his first over-night guests when Amy and Jason come to visit from Houston.

Bo has been to 4 different playgrounds (BREC rocks) and he loves swings of all shapes and sizes. He likes slides too but chooses to run up them instead of slide down them. I think it's a boy thing. I don't let him run up the tall ones because they are only safety designed for sliding downward but he has fun climbing the short ones so it's a good compromise.

Bo has been to two dinner parties at other kids houses. Last weekend it was an NCAA March Madness night over at Rob's house to play with Abby and Robbie. Bo was really into Robbie's Playstation and watched intently as they played a Sonic the Hedgehog type game. However, he did his usual thing which is eat dinner in about 5 minutes and then want to leave. Last night we went over to the Stanton's house and played with their kids (Jack and Sydney) as well as little Gabriel who was also over for dinner. Bo did very well and played on a bunch of bikes and tried out the jungle gym they have in their backyard. He is getting better at playing with other kids, probably from being at school every day and getting more confidence. I also think his English is getting better (understanding it spoken, not necessarily speaking it himself).

I have left him home alone with Ryan twice for more than a quick trip to the grocery store. Last weekend I went for a massage and while I was gone and Ryan was mowing the lawn Bo helped himself to a regular Kool-Aid. We have those stashed away in case of low blood sugar but Bo just helped himself. When I got home he got a special shot of insulin to correct. This weekend I decided to go for a manicure and left with Bo all ready to eat lunch, mac-n-cheese in the microwave. Well, Bo refused to eat the mac-n-cheese so Ryan made him a bowl of ramen soup. While it was cooling on the counter Bo decided to grab it and carry it over to the table himself. He then proceeded to drop it and it spilled all over the kitchen floor. Then he dropped on all fours and started eating noodles off the floor and cried as Ryan started cleaning it up. Luckily there was a spare brick of ramen in the pantry and Ryan cooked Bo his third attempt at a meal and all was well. Bo is a super-active, 100% boy four-year old so you have to be anticipating every way he can hurt himself or break something all of the time because given any freedom one or both will happen. Ryan has spring break the week after Easter so we may have some more funny stories then.

Earlier today Bo learned that the silly white box on top of Baba's TV is a magic cube that plays a Kung Fu Panda game. And yet another XBox junkie is born! I had to go out and buy an egg timer so we can set limits on Bo's playing. This morning I had to practically drag him away from it to eat lunch and then when I did he realized he was feeling shaky and freaked out. His blood sugar was 46 (note to fat people: playing xbox burns calories!). Then I had to drag him out of the house to run some errands this afternoon and on the way home all he could talk about was Kung Fu. I think we have created a monster, although I did use this new obsession for some good too. I now have some leverage in our little battles over getting dressed, getting out of the bath, etc. I just say "no more Kung Fu" and he quickly does whatever I asked him to do and then kisses me. This is probably not what is recommended by Family Circle magazine but whatever works go with it, right?

And last but not least in the bragging how great our kid is category, Bo is now sleeping all by himself in his room. Friday night before bed I showed him that I would sit with him until he fell asleep and then I would go into my room and sleep there and then in the morning he could come in and wake me up. It worked like a charm. We still have to go in his room at 4 AM to test his blood but the rest of the night I sleep much better. Not getting kicked in the kidneys makes sleep so much more enjoyable. Plus Bo is falling asleep between 9:30 and 10 now so we still have a little time to get organized for the day ahead and to watch some of our shows on TV.

This week is a 4 day week for Ryan and Bo because they both have Good Friday off. It's supposed to be gorgeous weather next weekend so we will probably go down to New Orleans and visit the zoo. I haven't been posting as many pictures because both of our small cameras are broken right now and I am stuck using a larger one and I always forget the camera bag when we leave the house. I'll try to take some good pictures at the zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment