Sunday, February 8, 2009

Last weekend home




We leave for China on Thursday morning, so early you could say we leave Wed. night. I spent Thursday and Friday this week in Houston for work so I got back late Friday and just watched a movie and crashed early. Yesterday Ryan had his first track practice in the morning so I got up early with him and got started on the regular chores and packing. Our house always seems to be a mess so I spent the better part of the morning cleaning, after all we want it to look nice for Miss April who will be doggy-sitting for us while we are gone. Then after Ryan got home we made packing lists for all of the stuff we need to remember. I'm usually very nonchalant about packing for a trip because there's always the idea that if you forget something you can just pick it up later. However, being diabetic and using a medical device to keep you alive definitely adds a bit of complexity, especially when you're going to a country that doesn't have as easy access to medical supplies.

After the tedious list-making was done I got down to the fun business of packing up Bo's stuff. Well, I should say pre-packing as I just kind of threw it all in to make sure I wasn't bringing too much. I did pull a few items out but I'd rather Bo have a dozen outfits and I wear the same two things the whole time we're there. I've been waiting a long time to spoil this kid and I'm not waiting until we get home to start :)

Last night we went over to our friends Rob and Candace's house for a party. It was a small get together to celebrate their new home and Ryan and I's last hoorah without a babysitter to get home to. The weather was beautiful so we hung out outside and had a fire going just because it looks and smells good. Also, in full Louisiana fashion there was an amazing culinary treat to the evening. Candace's sister came over with some venison sausage and she made this bacon-wrapped loaf with the sausage, some bbq sauce, and chopped green onions in the middle, which she then cooked on the grill for about 40 minutes. Needless to say it was delicious and I will experiment with this idea when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment