Monday, February 23, 2009

Baba Leaves :(

Today started with a trip to the train station to drop off Baba. Our guide, Michael, translated for me that Baba was flying home to our house today and that Bo and I were going to one more hotel before we fly home to see him at his new house (fahng-zuh means house). He seemed OK with this and the only bad behavior we saw was that he didn't want to hold Ryan's hand at the train station. I guess he isn't really big on good-byes. After the train station we took a taxi to the local hospital. Bo had another very low blood sugar Sunday evening/ Monday morning and I was determined to get another glucagon kit. The hospital experience was interesting to say the least. First of all, Bo knew exactly what it was and he tensed up and made me carry him the whole time we were there. He was actually found in a hospital so who knows if he remembers the feeling of being alone and scared or if he's just been to the hospital on etime too many due to his illness. We made our way past two different triage desks (young women in nurses uniforms basically directing you where to go) and then we were in the internal medicine hallway. Next stop was the endocrinologist, a nice middle aged woman in a white coat who presumably has some sort of training, albeit maybe not an MD. She was with another older woman and since there is no privacy in China we just stood there and listened to their conversation while waiting our turn. Three other older ladies showed up while we were waiting and each pushed their way to the front and deposited a registration book on the desk, somehow signaling that they were eligible for treatment. They were all sort of pushing infron tof us until they realized that Bo was the patient. Then they asked Michael a million questions about him and about me and they smiled approvingly that I was taking him to the US for better medical care. They let us go next and the doctor studied the used glucagon kit I had for a few minutes, asked a few questions, then said they don't have this. She said they just give sugar water. When I asked what do do if the patient refused or was unconsious she said they put them on an IV. I politely told her they should investigate getting some of these and then we left. So no glucagon kit for the rest of the trip. After Michael dropped us off at the hotel I took Bo to KFC for lunch (dragon wraps, very yummy: a flour tortilla with a chicken tender, cucumber sticks, and some sort of sweet brown asian sauce). We of course ate a few french fries and ketchup too, he loves ketchup! Then we went to the grocery store and I stocked up on sweet beverages that I know he will drink in the case of low blood sugar. Now I get to fight him off and say no about a jillion times until that occasion happens, fun for me. He was generally much better at the store and I made a few compromises (bought him some gum) but he gave up easier when he wanted something and I said no so I would call that progress in the mother-child dynamic. Late in the afternoon we went back to the park and the children's rides were open again. I bought us more bubbles and he got to go on the airplane ride. He has this airplane toy that he takes on walks now that has bells on it and stuff. He pointed to it a few times and mimicked that it was Baba flying the plane so I guess he understands the whole plane thing. We had dinner in our room and a nice quiet evening, in bed by 8! He wouldn't let me sleep in the other bed, I had to sleep with him. We'll see if after a few more nights that is possible. It is Tuesday AM now and we are due to visit the Hebei Museum today, our last scheduled outing in Shijiazhuang. Thursday morning we leave for Guangzhou and it couldn't come sooner. I'm missing my palm trees and humid weather, plus the air quality is better there and there are more Great Wall families to meet.

Oh, I almost forgot hte biggest story of the day. Ryan will have to fill you all in on this in more detail but I guess the guide who was supposed to meet him at the train station in Beijing and take him to the airport never showed. He ended up taking a taxi, with a driver who didn't speak English, and only $35 US to pay (he didn't want to take a lot of yuan home with him). Needless to say it is quite a story and our agency has some explaining to do but at least he did make it to the airport as he called me after checking in while he was still waiting for his flight. To ther GW families, this is screw-up #2 for us. #1 was not haviing our brown envelopes in province! Our guide here has been a little less than desirable at times and it is frustrating to read the other families stories who all love their guides. He has helped a bit with Bo but he doesn't always tell us what is going on or ask us if we need anything. It's kind of like pulling teeth to get him to do anything for us. Hopefully Kelley in Guangzhou will be abit more accomodating.

No comments:

Post a Comment